February 21, 2010

#022, united cafe bistro, 190210

company: SOS
conversation: University, relationships and life.


Looking into the window as we walked by I saw that the entire store was full. The store looked a lot like a bistro with people on their laptops (free WiFi) and sofas by the window to enjoy a book. Nevertheless, we went in hoping a table would be free and were taken up to a second floor! I was shocked. Once upstairs, we were greeted with a quietness that was different from the buzz downstairs.


Sitting down, I noticed they used warm colours creating a natural theme such as green, brown and yellow. One of the walls was entirely covered by a picture of a cute kid each a biscuit with crumbs all over his face. Aww. Apart from the odd picture of cute babies every now and again, you could say that the interior was relatively empty yet simple.

As we met up around 2:30pm, the afternoon tea sets were available. Prices ranged between HKD$28 - $50 with savoury and sweet food items to choose from with a drink inclusive (plus 10%). There were many espresso coffee varieties to choose from, even an Aroma Banana Caffe which I thought sounded very interesting. Pizza ($70 - $100), pasta ($48 - $78) and salads ($38 - $88) were all available on the a la carte menu which I thought that more than enough.


With about 30 available seats on the second floor, I was unable to count exactly how many were on the ground.

I had a United chocolate cake and cappuccino, HKD$39. He had a pan-fried tuna and cheese sandwich and iced lemon tea, HKD$48. All plus 10%.

I realise I didn't take as many photos as I usually do, too busy catching up!

My cappuccino arrived with a distinct aroma of cinnamon which surprised me as I have never tried it with cinnamon. Although it smelt very nice and relaxing, it managed to cover up any aroma the espresso had released. Whilst the smell reminded me of a Chai tea, it was the espresso smell I was looking for.

The foam was done well, and was creamy although I do think that if I had ordered the cappuccino on it's own at $24, it would be too small. I tasted the espresso which was strong and slightly bitter but was thrown off-track with the additional cinnamon (maybe I just have to get used to it). Overall, a good, if small, cappuccino.

My chocolate cake that arrived first looked very compressed and homemade (not saying that homemade stuff is going to always look like that). It also looked a little like a brownie and when tasted, seemed dense like a brownie too. The presentation of the chocolate sauce made the entire plate look more upscale and I think a strawberry on the side would have brought more colour to the plate.

I was happy to find that the cake was not as sweet as it looks. The density of the cake was enough to make me full for afternoon tea and by the time I got home, I was too full to eat dinner.

SOS' sandwich looked rather flat and did not look like there was any filling inside. But whilst cutting into it, it seemed crunchy and according to SOS, it was good. The salad on the side was also appetising as it had dressing (balsamic vinaigrette?), which always makes a salad more enjoyable.

Well, what can I say about the iced lemon tea? Just your standard Chinese/Hong Kong 凍檸檬茶 which according to SOS is different from Japanese 凍檸檬茶. Hmm, interesting.

United Cafe Bistro is a surprising find in the less-visited area of Jordan. What I realised whilst leaving, is that it is Christian: I saw Bibles on the bookshelves and several Christian religion based books as well as quotes from passages written along the walls and on pictures. Although a restaurant in itself, this was an additional characteristic given to the store.

I do have to point out here that all the waitresses and people working behind the counter were efficient, friendly and not in-your-way. Whilst we were leaving, I think every single one of them said goodbye.

The varieties of espresso coffees was interesting to see, with a blurb about coffee on their "Espresso Menu". Although I do have to admit that I did not have high expectations about the place, their cappuccino was a pleasant surprise.

Overall, I would like to try more of their dishes as the prices seem quite affordable and the environment of the place is relaxing and seems quite popular. Maybe a little hard to find if you're just randomly walking around, but a glance at a map and with the address in hand, it was not all that hard to find for us.

address: 268 Temple Street, Jordan.
佐敦廟街268號

phone: 2730 9622

No comments:

Post a Comment